The Product Management department is responsible for (i) serving as representatives/spokespeople for Oaktree’s strategies and products to explain strategy positioning and investment theses; (ii) creating, refining and managing content that effectively conveys our strategies’ investment approach, capabilities and portfolio activity; (iii) responding to investor requests for information about their prospective and current investments with us (including leadership in understanding areas where material needs to be stronger or where there are gaps); (iv) managing and/or delivering portfolio reviews; and (v) delivering marketing programming initiatives that serve to raise awareness about Oaktree’s offerings and broad platform capabilities.
This Product Management – Product Specialist position will be aligned specifically to Oaktree’s Emerging Markets Opportunities and Emerging Markets Debt Total Return strategies.
The position falls under the Product Management group within Client Relations, but will work in very close collaboration with the investment team managing these strategies/products, as well as with Oaktree’s Marketing and Client Services teams. He/she is expected to participate in all investment team group meetings, off-sites and relevant portfolio or strategy related updates. The same will apply for his/her participation in Product Management group off-sites and training activities.
Selected responsibilities include:
Product Marketing (Fundraising) and Communications (Servicing)
- Develop internal subject matter expertise regarding our strategies’ approach, philosophy, markets, primary competitors, legacy and active funds, individual investments, cash-flow expectations, performance reporting standards, etc.
- Create and maintain product/strategy content including but not limited to pitch books and presentations, due diligence content, quarterly commentary, investor letters, thought leadership (“Insights”) pieces, personnel transition communications
- Learn/master compliance and related industry rules to ensure the creation of compliant content (may include creating supporting documentation in partnership with other Oaktree departments including, for example, the firm’s Portfolio Analysis Risk & Reporting (“PARR”) department)
- Learn/master financial reporting metrics and concepts to be able to sense-test financial reporting prepared by other units (Accounting and PARR) prior to utilizing in marketing or service content owned by the Specialist
- Offshore (via creation of procedures and ad-hoc training), where appropriate, quarterly content updates and serve as primary quality-control/reviewer of such offshored quarterly/monthly updated content
- Serve as primary SME for the CR-Diligence Services department as they spearhead the completion of RFPs and other diligence documentation for prospective LPs by ensuring accuracy and timely delivery of content for deadline-driven client and prospect requests
- Support fundraising initiatives by delivering the above and also by (i) helping to drive follow-up with our Marketing team where relevant and appropriate; (ii) understanding/gathering intel concerning the market reaction to our product set and refining messaging and strategy content in response; (iii) helping to identify new product offerings or structures that may help the strategy improve traction with clients/prospects seeking specific solutions; support and/or conduct Marketing Rep education throughout fundraising and/or at particular times when market conditions dictate a change in strategy positioning or attractiveness
Investor Needs Management
- Serve as the primary interface for Marketing and Client Services Reps globally in supporting clients in the strategy with product-related inquiries and to help (both proactively and reactively) explain strategy positioning, market activity and material portfolio events throughout the sales and service lifecycle
- Serve as a member of the Oaktree “client team” by developing rapport with client-facing staff and clients directly in an effort to understand and support investor needs and strengthen relationships in turn
- Collaborate with other product specialists as well as other Oaktree departments to identify and drive improvements to standard content in an effort to support the streamlining of client reporting while ensuring consistency in the client experience across strategy lines
Investor Programming/Events and Meeting Management
- Assist with and/or manage product-related client meetings together with the Client Services and Marketing teams
- Assist in the preparation of onsite client reviews and other client meetings
- Manage strategy’s investors committees or other committee meetings where appropriate (i.e., orchestrate LP outreach with Marketing, coordinate committee meetings and agendas, prepare materials, work with Legal to review and distribution minutes)
- Deliver content (including post-even amplification content) for the strategies as part of the firm’s bi-annual client conference and other programming/event initiatives
- Work with Product Management’s Programming team to identify and deliver relevant programming initiatives that help to raise brand awareness for Oaktree’s credit capabilities and/or strategy offerings specifically